Sunday, January 17, 2010

God Bless America

I just got home, last night, from a trip to Fort Benning, in Columbus Georgia. Brian's youngest son Eric was graduating from boot camp and some Infantry training. While we were there we toured the Infantry Museum on base, saw some of the monuments out on "Sacrifice Field." I took some pictures of the Airborne monument. (These monuments were all dedicated to soldiers that have lost their life in their service to their country.) The Museum was full of historical war moments, the history of the Infantry, and all things hero!
As we toured the museum I couldn't help but feel gratitude for every man and woman who committed their lives to the service of their country - whatever the reason was, and whatever their service was. I read a story about an Army nurse and the devoted service she gave during World War Two. She lived to be 104! I saw an American flag that looked like it had blood stains on it. I saw Uniforms that had shrapnel holes in it, parts of tanks that had holes it them as well. I am completely aware that war is not for the weak hearted. War is not something to be taken lightly either. War is ugly! I have seen displays of what the enemy used in Vietnam - in the jungles. They were devious and yet very cunning! Some of their methods were very archaic as well. It is all about survival when it comes to war. But freedom is the driving force! Walking through places like this museum creates a great and overwhelming feeling of gratitude and appreciation for service and sacrifice. These were men and women, my brothers and sisters who gave so much - some gave all they had. How can I repay that debt to them? I can give my support and live my life in a way that makes their service and sacrifice worth it. I can be the kind of American that is proud of her country and all that it stands for.

I now place Eric in the category of hero! The young men who took part in the ceremonies we got to watch are all my heros. These are the young men who will be on the front line, fighting the enemy, in my behalf! I consider myself am a patriot. I am humbled by the whole idea of being a person who supports, and knows one of these soldiers. I am overwhelmed by the strength and unity that emulates from these young men. I am thankful that there are soldiers who are willing to give their life in order that mine might be free.

I love that I live in this great America. Please, God, continue to bless America?!

1 comment:

  1. God bless this America indeed! What a wonderful experience. So happy for you and your family! Congratulations to Eric! All my best wishes for his service...
    Who's your friend?

    ReplyDelete