Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Family Tradition Revisited

For the past 6 years my kids have spent Christmas eve with their dad. I had started a tradition many years ago - as a teen - where I would read from the Scriptures, the story of Christ's birth. There are many in the Book of Mormon, the Old Testament, and of course the New Testament. Some years I would read them all but most of the time it was Luke. For the past six years my kids have gone with out that tradition, because it only happens on Christmas Eve. This year was different. This year they were with me! I hope my kids always miss that tradition when are not with me.
I read first from Isaiah, chapter six verse nine. Then I read from Luke chapters one and two. I usually follow that up with my newest Christmas story book for that year. (I have bought one a year for several years.) This year's was titled "If You Are Missing Jesus." It's a story about a family who had bought a new nativity set that happened to come with two baby Jesus'. This Mom left her number and a note with the store clerk that said, "If you are missing Jesus, call: 7165." Then over the course of the next week or so she anxiously waited for someone to call because their nativity had no Jesus. No one ever called about that but she did get a call from a desperate Mom, whose husband had just run off, her furnace just quit - they lived in North Dakota - and she had small children who were cold and hungry. The lady with the extra Baby Jesus got her husband to fix the woman's furnace, her children gathered cloths and blankets for the little ones and some of their neighbors donated beds and furniture as well. All because of a little baby Jesus!
The reason I tell the details of this story is because of something really ironic that happened to us. At Brian's annual Christmas get together with his family, his Dad does two things every year; one, he turns and gifts a small bird house ornament for each grandchild and each of his kids (and their spouse); and two, he give each family a small gift of some sort or another. This year we each got a "coffee table" book and a small nativity set. The nativity was small and inexpensive, but I collect them so I was grateful for the gesture. When we got home and I opened the box to display it with the others I have, I carefully opened each piece and placed them in the scene. Low and behold I had NO baby Jesus! I have wise men, a shepherd, even a sheep and a donkey, but no Jesus. The sad thing is I don't even have a number to call! Since I don't really believe in coincidences, I believe that this a lesson for me to learn:
Always remember to include Baby Jesus in your Christmas traditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment