Sunday, December 20, 2009

Oh Holy night!

What a relief. Our Choir program is finally over, and the YW program is done. I always look forward to the Choir's Sacrament meeting each year. We have been practicing for weeks and weeks for todays presentation. Why is it that on the day of the big event you can never find the right note at the right time? Last week I nailed them all. But not today - maybe I wasn't holding my mouth just right or something...
Any way the songs were wonderful arrangements - mostly Mack Wilberg's - and our Director is a member of the Morman Tabernacle Choir. We even had the largest choir in the history of our ward for these pieces. Our Bishop refers to us as the Southern division of Mo Tab. I don't know about that, but I do know I was struggling today. It might have had something to do with the fact that this year I have challenged myself to sing the first Alto/second Soprano parts of each piece. Usually a little bit higher range than I am used to. Like I said, I wanted to challenge myself and extend my range. In weeks past I did it just fine - well it took some effort and concentration, but I got the notes.
All in all, the songs and the message was beautiful. Jesus Christ was born into the world. The greatest miracle ever to occur to mankind. We celebrate that birth with Christmas. Amid all the controversy, all the political (in)correctness, all the anti-religious messages, and all the "holiday" wishing, I am keeping Christ in my Christmas! I don't care how many people get offended by my wishing them a Merry Christmas. I don't care how many people would rather see a Santa Clause than a nativity on my Christmas cards. I am keeping Christ in my Christmas! I hope you will too.
In Young Women's today, all the leaders recited, from memory, "The Living Christ" as our program and lesson - interspersed with various Christmas hymns. Each class did two songs. One of the songs the Mia Maids did was "When He Comes Again." I have an arrangement or two for my guitar so I decided to play while the girls sang. (I was doubly nervous with playing and reciting my memorized part.) Gratefully I got through the guitar playing and the girls sounded great! After we sang that song I just stood there and recited the second to the last paragraph of the Living Christ. I nailed it! Whew, I was done! Now I could relax. The day was over and I didn't have one more thing to do. What a blessing today was for me personally. I had been praying in my heart that everything would go well and it did!
That is why I know that Heavenly Father is a personal God. He felt to bless little, small, insignificant, me. That is why I will serve Him. He loved ME enough to send a Savior to atone for me. Jesus Christ was not afraid to do His Father's will, so why should I be afraid to keep Christ in Christmas.
And tomorrow is Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Did you know I am the choir director in my ward? I am so glad the Christmas performance is over!! I usually enjoy it so much but this year, being my first, was rough. I still love this time of year though and Christmas songs are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put, Debi. Yes, the music of Christmas is a beautiful part of the celebration. Wow! You performed on your guitar, and I debuted the song I wrote for our Christmas Dinner last night. The Hendersons are keeping the music going! Love it! And love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, performed in our Ward Choir for Christmas and it was beautiful, and then I left and went home to take care of my hubby! It was a beautiful day! Nice job on your guitar playing! Wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete