Thursday, December 31, 2009

That's all she wrote...

Tomorrow morning when I wake up it will be 2010. That is even hard to grasp when I'm typing on the keyboard!

I remember when I was in grade school and I would do the math in my head regarding how old I would be in the year 2000. I was 38 two weeks into the year. So, now, add another 10 years to that... The funny thing is, I really don't feel any different. Last month I had some different pains in my knees that I had never felt before, but I thought it was because I was spending 8 hours in a chair at my desk everyday! It might me a sign of aging, but I can't say for sure - I've never been this old before. Anyway, it just seems strange to me that we live in the time that we do. 2010!!! Un-real. Exciting, but un-real.

I've known people who look forward to making "New Year's Resolutions," and I've known people that say, "It's just another day. Why should I make goals on this particular day? I can set a new goal any time I want." Well, I'm the kind that likes to take the opportunity of the turning of a new year to use as a guide post. I like to make resolutions and set new goals - however, I do it closer to my birthday. For me its a time to evaluate my own personal changes and needs as I age or come into new seasons of life. It helps that my birthday is really close to the first day of a new year too.

What I really hate though is that the people that set a new goal to get into shape in the new year do it at my gym during the same time I go. It never fails, during first couple of months at the gym, the machines and weight rooms are packed with people I've never seen before. And they are all way over weight! Not that I hate that people are wanting to get into shape - I'm a big advocate of staying healthy and being in shape. But I am at the gym at least three times a week - more in the summer months - all year long, and those people are in my way. I never see them by the first of March though so then I can work out in peace and quiet! So, essentially I try not to set a goal I know I won't stick with - like losing weight or getting into shape. What I do like to do is tell myself to have more fun with the shape I'm in - like go snowboarding more or snowshoeing - get outside! (Which is tough this time of year cause it's so cold!)

At any rate, 2009 is quietly sliding into history and being replaced by 2010! Lets all do something memorable this year. Make sure you tell your family how much they mean to you. Find something new you can really embrace and let your spirit take flight! In other words, go out and live - Life Is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment