Monday, July 12, 2010

I am a marathon runner...

For several weeks now I have been running again. I say again because before I had kids I considered myself a runner. I used to run three miles a day and then once a week I'd actually run five miles. I loved the feeling of being able to just get out and run for 30 or 40 minutes at a time. I was not fast, but I was consistent. I loved the "high" that running gave me.

When I had my first baby I thought that my Doctor had done something wrong during my episiotomy! I was furious with him. I thought that maybe over time and by doing "kegal" exercises things would get better. They never did! Especially not after my second baby. That's when I resigned myself to bike riding and roller blading. Those were the only ways I could achieve that same runners "high."

Now its been 24 years since my last run, but three years ago I had a hysterectomy and a bladder sling! (I know, too much information...) So, at 48, I want to be a runner again. I've started reading Runner's World, and buying expensive running shoes, and running cloths, and energy foods. Heck I even enter 5k's and Tri-althlons. In fact, I am entered in the St. George Marathon, in October this year! (28 years ago I had trained for this marathon and had to quit because of an "over training injury" - also called shin splints, but I have always wanted to run a marathon!) I stumbled across a book called The Non-Runners Marathon Training Guide. As I read the first few pages I realized that I could be a marathoner. So I am following the training program that this book recommends and by the end of September I will be ready to run a marathon. Why not run the St. George? (The St. George marathon is a lottery entry so I had to enter and then hope I got chosen; which I did.)

Two days ago I ran 10 miles for the first time in my life! Well, let me back up, four weeks ago I ran 6 miles for the first time in my life. The next week, I ran 8 miles. I run 4 days a week now. The distances vary from 3 miles, to 4 miles, to 5 miles. Each week I increase my milage by 2 or 3 miles a week. Because of where I live, I have to ultimately run hills every time I run, but I am getting to where I love the challenge they provide. Each day is like a new victory for me.

I am 48, I have asthma, and a bad knee, but I am a marathon runner! Follow me on my runs - I am going to start to log my journal here, on my blog.
Tomorrow I run 6 again!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete