Friday, July 16, 2010

Not as bad as it could be

Had a visit with the Dr today regarding my leg pain(s.) Its not stress fractures, which is really good news! But it is pretty bad and will take some time to fix. I have "medial tibial stress syndrome." Also known as shin splints.

All my life I have dealt with these stupid pains! Every time I run a lot. In high school it was during basketball. But this time I am going to be smart about how I treat it. I have already made an appointment with a Physical therapist to fix the problem once and for all. He is going to be able to help me with what ever is causing the problem: ie, my "gate" or stride, or the way I place my foot (Pronation/modality,) he will even evaluate my shoes - that I just got and paid a grundle for. I will have to take a week or two off running but I will replace it with biking and or roller blading - fun huh? I hate that I won't be up and out side in the mornings, enjoying the cool morning air, but I want to run my marathon and so I have to do what I have to do.

Stay with me on this...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Debi!!! I get those stupid things whenever I speed walk too!!!
    Yuck! You are tough - I know you will be able to run your marathon! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, Deb, LOL! I love you, but don't want you to hurt yourself.

    ReplyDelete