Monday, July 26, 2010

A work in Progress...

Yep, I'm still here and still training for my marathon! I have definitely had my share of challenges in the last week and a half. Last post was regarding my painful legs. This one is about what I am doing about that issue.

I had a visit with a Sports Medicine Doctor. He x-rayed my legs to make sure I didn't have "stress fractures." I don't - thank goodness! But I do have "shin splints." He sent me to a Physical Therapist who is teaching me to shorten my stride and rotate my hips more. (I can't help but think that Spencer W. Kimball must not have been talking about running when he told us all to "Lengthen our stride.")

My first run with a shorter stride did not go very well. I was still in constant pain all day after words. The icing, stretching, and resting didn't help at all. But I think the 16 mile bike ride on Saturday was a brilliant way to vent some of my frustration. Because my run this morning went way better than I expected. Not even a twinge of pain in either leg today. Tomorrow I will go a little farther and then see the PT again in the afternoon with good news. Hopefully he will have some new fun thing I can try on my next run - maybe even some great training advice for the future.

I am a marathon runner and this is my story...

1 comment:

  1. Keep us posted!!! :) I'm going to make a reservation in St. George that I don't want to cancel!!!

    ReplyDelete