Saturday, July 31, 2010

Grrrrrrrr!

After spending several dollars and many hours with my PT (physical therapist) I felt like my training was about to get back up to speed today. I rode 20 minutes before a scheduled 8 mile run. At about mile 4 my legs were throbbing so bad that I didn't dare go any farther!! GRRRR. So frustrated right now! I'm also feeling a little discouraged too. I am NOT ready to throw in the towel. In fact, I have a PT appointment on Tuesday and will be having a real "heart to heart" with Steve.

"Is this thing bigger than me or not?" That's what I am going to be asking him. Some people are only cut out for short distances. I don't want to be one of them!!!

I think my problem this morning was the fact that I didn't hold to the exercises I have been instructed to do in order to change my stride length. I didn't work on counting my strides in a minute, because I thought I was running the longer distance at a slower pace. I did, however work at keeping my body tall. And I did work on keeping my arms swinging. Just two things alone felt good while I was doing them.

Man, this is such a mental game.

Okay, Monday morning I will do nothing but work on my stuff! I will look silly for the first, fifth, tenth - and so on - minutes, while I swing my shoulders. I will count my strides for the second minute, sixth minute, and so on. I will concentrate on running on/in a line with each step for the third minute, seventh minute, and well... I think you get the picture. I will work on that this whole week, as well as the next two weeks, until I make it my own!!! (I'm told that it takes 21 days before a thing becomes a habit.)

2 comments:

  1. You are my hero. I would've quit long ago.
    Please don't injure yourself permanently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the positive attitude, Deb. Success is built on doers, not quitters -- and from what I am reading here, you are definitely not a quitter. I just pray you don't permanently injure yourself. BTW who is your oriental friend? interesting!

    ReplyDelete